Community Ventures (CV) is an innovative economic development initiative to support individuals who have been under employed, or chronically unemployed. Coordinated by the Talent Investment Agency (TIA), this initiative helps structurally unemployed individuals pursue career opportunities in Detroit, Flint, Saginaw and Pontiac.
The Saginaw County Business & Education Partnership is a proud leading partner in the Community Ventures program. Under a contract with the Talent Investment Agency, we provide supportive services to Community Ventures participants.
- Provides real jobs for people with very few employment options
- Addresses key barriers for employment
- Provides a venue for additional services to prepare people for success – such as success coaching
- Helps people improve professionally and develop an employment history
- Provides safer communities
- Employer grants – usually in the form of wage reimbursements for employers to cover in-house training and costs related to hiring CV participants
- Wrap-around services – assist with job retention and removal of barriers to employment (e.g., success coaching, transportation, financial literacy, etc.)
- Business supports – services and supports for businesses and social enterprises to improve employee engagement and productivity
“I believe this initiative is a great public-private partnership that is creating shared and customized solutions for both employees and employers within our community so that our citizens can be more successful.”Kathy Conklin, Executive Director, Saginaw County Business & Education Partnership
Great Lakes Bay Employer Resource Network
An Employer Resource Network (ERN) serves as a chain of public and private partnerships that seek out opportunities to create real jobs for low income individuals. By creating a system of models, this network of employers, community leaders, and non-profit agencies is able to provide member employees connections. With access to social services and training programs, we can provide solutions for success in life and in the workplace.
The Saginaw County Business & Education Partnership serves as the administrator and fiscal agent to the Great Lakes Bay Employer Resource Network.
For more information about Employer Resource Networks please visit, www.ern-usa.com.
Little People’s Daycare
Merrill Technologies Group
Mobile Medical Response
Morley Companies, Inc.
Spaulding Manufacturing, Inc.
ERN Strategic Partners
1st State Bank
Saginaw County Business & Education Partnership
Saginaw County Department of Health and Human Services
Team One Credit Union
TIA Community Ventures
Wanigas Credit Union
• Cross-sector collaboration among employers
• Human services and educators engagement
• Workplace-based employee success coaching (case management)
• Real-time referrals to community resources
• Public human services and workforce development
• Private non-profits
• Community colleges and vocational training organizations local, regional and national foundations
• Public agencies and nonprofits get better outcomes from programs that advance economic independence
• Contributing employer ROI of 175-330%
• Increased employee engagement
• Creation of informal regional human resource networks
• Decreased employee reliance on public assistance and increased family financial stability
• Computer applications
• Financial management and budgeting
• Economic diversity education
• Credit repair and foreclosure prevention
• Leadership and problem solving
• Health and wellness
• Free income tax preparation